Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12306/4597
Title: Community participation and land conflict management in uganda a case study of Busolwe Sub-county, Butaleja District
Authors: Abedi, Mususw
Keywords: Community participation
Land conflict management
Issue Date: Oct-2018
Publisher: Kampala International University. College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Abstract: The study sought to examine community participation and land conflict management in Uganda: A case study of Busoiwe Sub-County, Butaleja District. The study objectives were: to identify the indicators of comniunity participation in Busoiwe Sub-County, Butalej a District, to establish forms of land conflict management in Busoiwe Sub-County, Butaleja District and to examine the effect of community participation on land conflict management in Busolwe Sub-County. Butaleja District. The study followed a cross sectional research design. The qualitative and quantitative approaches were employed based on the study topic. The quantitative technique was used to collect and analyze data on the community participation and land conflict management. The qualitative approach was used to community participation and land conflict management. This design was used because it brought out clearly the relationship between community participation and land conflict management. The target population of 240 was selected and it comprised of (6) resident district commissioners. (25) police officers. (94) local I~easants and (25) community leaders. The rational was that all the above respondents were stakeholders. The sample size of the study consists of 150 respondents of~the target population. Data was collected from primary and secondary sources using questionnaires and interviews. A tIer collecting data, the researcher organized well-answered questionnaire, data was edited and sorted for the next stage. The data was presented in tabular form, pie charts and bar graphs with frequencies and percentages. The study findings revealed that 72% of the respondents were the majority who were male and the remaining 28% of the respondents were female. This implies that most of the respondents were men due to societal beliefs that men are majorly the owners of land and thus usually engaged in land conflict management with other community members. The study concludes that through participation ordinary people are given the opportunity to have a say in how their environment should be planned and developed in future. and that people are able to influence the final outcome of planned action. The study recommends that there is a need for enforcement of the law by the local council to safeguard the land of the community. It is necessary to conduct reporting of land issues to the police to ensure and grant security of land of the real owner.
Description: A research-in dissertation submitted to the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the award of a degree development studies of Kampala International University
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12306/4597
Appears in Collections:Bachelor of Arts in Development Studies

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Abedi Mususw.pdfFull text3.22 MBAdobe PDFThumbnail
View/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.